Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Putting the Pieces Together


Now that you have a deeper understanding of the different learning theories and learning styles, how has your view on how you learn changed?

My view on learning and how I learn has become increasingly more complex for me now; however, I also have more insight into how and why I learn some things easily than others.  There is so much research available to help yourself excel with any subject or content, including those that you are weaker with. The forming of new connections and relevance to other topics made me realize how interconnected everything is. Each learning theory can explain and offer a solution based on the definition of the problem. There is no one correct learning theory as they all build upon each other and they each have their own merits.This is my recap on the learning theories and styles:

Behaviorist Theory as mentioned by Ertmer & Newby (1993), this theory describes how we develop habits that result in our being able to generalize similar facts. Acronyms.

Constructivist Theory for me is gaining knowledge from daily experiences.

Cognitive Theory for higher order thinking skills like reasoning, problem solving, and information processing.

Social Learning Theory is gaining knowledge from social settings; I use this as a high school teacher, when I start student projects with the student who will go above and beyond on assignments in order to set the tone of what is expected.

Connectivism is processing and connecting current knowledge and purging of non relevant information.

Adult Learning Theory incorporates many theories to the adult learning environment. I use multiple strategies to gain knowledge. This is where is “isms” all come together. We must take something from each one and create experiences for all learners.

What have you learned about the various learning theories and learning styles over the past weeks that can further explain your own personal learning preferences?

If I had to pick just one I would say, my personal learning supports the constructivism theory. I take previous knowledge and experience into consideration, engage in social learning with my peers, analyze my own motivation, etc. to construct new knowledge. The Constructivism Theory “equates learning with creating meaning from experience” (Ertmer, et al) since all the theories are so connected and complement each other, I like Connectivism, simply because it makes my learning more fun when integrated with technology. Based on all the “tests” that I have taken over the past few years and many more last week, I fall heavily on the social learning theory. People of course is my passion, so I have to make mention here that I have recognized my strengths lie in my networks and my connections that I have made over the years.

What role does technology play in your learning?

I feel that my experience with Walden has forced me to learn and use technology that I now see is connected to many learning theories. I of course use the computer and the internet for course access, research and learning connections. I use the research tools available through the Walden library, but can find most of what I need with a simple google search. I have created a blog for this class as well as for my Forensics class (still in progress). I love the professional development classes where students come to teach the teachers about technology. My school just had one of these and it was great. I learned many tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment