Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Connectivism Reflection Week 5


Technology has certainly changed my way of learning. The examples that I use in my mind map have expanded my learning and my creativity a little.

How has your network changed the way you learn?
Social networking was and still is huge for me. It allows me to keep in personal contact with family and friends, but also with companies that I find value in or just to keep abreast of the news. I have learned to use blogs (this is new for me) to find very specific information that I was not aware of until this class. The instructional design blogs that I discovered have enlightened me to a field of study that can open many doors for me. The technology sources available through Walden have proven to be somewhat of an asset for me. I have used the blackboard, discussion boards, and the library. I do not think that the student lounge is beneficial however. I learn from my peers, colleagues, and students.

Which digital tools best facilitate learning for you?
Digital tools that have proven helpful to me are constantly changing and emerging. If I had completed this last year, my map would look very different. While connecting my nodes, I have learned that I have nodes in my life that I never thought of as learning tools. (E books and discussion boards). As a self directed adult learner, I can pick activities that I enjoy the most and those that facilitate learning for me. My students and I both agree that the textbooks that are still in use in the public school hinder the students. The information and technology is outdated and lacking in entertainment. I suppose this is the half life of knowledge.

How do you gain new knowledge when you have questions?
I gain knowledge to my questions through the use of search engines such as Google. I love when I search for information and after finding the answer, I then find additional websites that offer more or even different information. I find myself reading and learning for hours sometimes, sometimes on topic sometimes not.  I learn in small groups when used to problem solve. I do however find it more difficult to find time for small group outside the discussion board of Walden.
In what ways does your personal learning network support or refute the central tenets of connectivism?
I believe that my mind map supports what connectivism is trying to convey. I believe that the integration of technology and the connection of my nodes have been influenced by my past knowledge and my life experiences. It is about linking my skills together. I believe that my learning map promotes dialogue, reflection and quality which is why I have chosen these nodes to assist in my learning

No comments:

Post a Comment